Jun 3, 2007

Summer Savings On Spies

There are a couple of big online DVD sales going on right now. First off, DeepDiscount is having its semi-annual 20% off sale again! With their standard policy of free shipping on all orders, no matter how small, using their sale coupson ("SUPERSALE") tends to be the very cheapest way to get a lot of DVDs new, especially TV box sets. Particular treats for spy enthusiasts include hugely discounted A&E titles like the Secret Agent aka Danger Man Complete Collection (review) for $72.46 using the coupon, The Complete Prisoner Megaset for just $42.70, The Avengers Emma Peel Megaset for $75 and Modern Marvels: James Bond Gadgets for $12. Additionally, the James Bond sets can be had for $47 each, and next week's Mission: Impossible - The Complete Second Season for $28, though you'll have to wait till Tuesday to get the discount on that one, as the coupon doesn't work on pre-orders.

Amazon's also having a big Spring Television DVD Sale, with up to 50% off on titles like The Prisoner and the first season of Mission: Impossible ($19.49)! They've also got a great deal on Simon Winder's recent book The Man Who Saved Britain: A Personal Journey into the Disturbing World of James Bond for just $5. Amazon.co.uk, meanwhile, is offering the latest entry in The Moneypenny Diaries, Secret Servant, for 50% off. I guess it's summer savings season on spies!

3 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I love "The Prisoner." I never saw it until it ran on BBC America. I watched it as well as "The Saint" and "The Avengers." I love a lot of those retro Brit spy shows. Aren't they doing a movie of "The Prisoner?"

Tanner said...

They're planning both a Prisoner movie (directed by Christopher Nolan) and a separate tv show remake. The more I think about the idea of a TV remake, the more I think it could really work. There have been successful TV relaunches of Dr. Who and Battlestar Gallactica, and, frankly, there are changes that could improve The Prisoner. I'd like to see it done as more of a serial, like most of today's shows, and less stand alone episodes. It would be cool to meet other prisoners, and spend weeks trying to figure out if they're really jailers or not, not just an episode. It COULD work. It could, also, of fourse, be a disaster. I'll hope for the former!

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I'm a fan of Nolan's. I loved what he did with "Batman Begins." I've also enjoyed his other work. I wouldn't mind seeing him get his hands on "The Prisoner." The tv show sounds really cool. Yeah, there are have been new tv versions of older classic shows. I've been a big fan of the "Doctor Who" one in particular. I saw someone mention the idea of Christopher Eccleston, the first Doctor on the revamp, as a possible contender for the leading role in "The Prisoner." I do like the idea of a show that has more of a continuing storyline than just stand alone episodes. That would be a much more interesting concept. Good idea on that.